Welcome to Anders Group’s weekly location spotlight where we’ll share what to eat, see, and do in some of the most popular Travel Assignment locations! Up this week…Memphis!
WHERE: Memphis, TN
ABOUT: Memphis was founded in 1819 by James Winchester, John Overton and former president Andrew Jackson. This city has had a major impact on music genres the world has grown to love today: rock ‘n’ roll, soul and blues. You can’t talk about Elvis Presley, B.B. King or Johnny Cash without mentioning Memphis. Not only did Memphis have a hand in music, but it also played a prominent role in the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s and 1960s. There are more than a handful of interesting and historic attractions to see when in this great city on the Mississippi River.
- Marlowe’s Memphis – formally known as “The Whitehaven Ranch House,” this BBQ heaven is the star of Elvis Presley Boulevard
- Miss Polly’s Soul Café – you have to try their fried chicken and waffles, it is just as good as the atmosphere and service
- Flight Restaurant & Wine Bar – indulge in fine dining and a stellar wine menu
- Chrystal Shrine Grotto – this peaceful man made cave is the covered with breathtaking crystals that give this cavern a glowing effect
- Sun Studio – known worldwide as the “Birthplace of Rock ‘N’ Roll,” this legendary studio has been the setting for many musical hits
- Cotton Museum – this building used to be the center of Memphis’ cotton industry, now it is dedicated to teaching others the great history of this culture-changing crop
- Elvis Presley Graceland VIP Tour – visit the home of the King of Rock ‘N’ Roll and see the plane that he used to travel from show to show
- The Memphis Pyramid – a trip to this building is an adventure in itself, you can rent a room, eat, take in the views of the city and do some shopping
- Beale Street – this street is a piece of Memphis history, you’ll find nightclubs, restaurants, theaters and so much more here. Definitely a night on the town!
- It is home of the first Greyhound bus, Holiday Inn hotel and Piggly Wiggly self service grocery store.
- This city is the only five-time winner of the nation’s cleanest city award.
- Memphis was named after an ancient city in Egypt, meaning enduring and beautiful.
Have you been to Memphis? What did you eat, see, and do? Leave your recommendations below!
Have a location you want to spotlight? Let us know in the comments!