Welcome to Anders Group’s weekly location spotlight where we’ll share what to eat, see, and do in some of the most popular Travel Assignment locations! Up this week…Columbia!
WHERE: Columbia, SC
ABOUT: Columbia, the capital of South Carolina, home of the University of South Carolina Gamecocks and one of the few places you can visit a Koala habitat in the country. That’s definitely something you won’t see everywhere! If animals aren’t your thing, you can always spend a day in Soda City, where over 150 vendors focus on “nourishing your brain, body and belly” through homegrown/made products they produce with love. Still hasn’t piqued your interest? Try indulging in the eclectic collection of museums this city offers, there’s something for everyone. Whatever you’re interested in, you’ll find it here!
- The Southern Belly BBQ – their sandwich selection is beyond creative and don’t get us started on their sauce selection…amazing!
- California Dreaming – this family-oriented eatery will put a flavorful twist on American classics
- Pearlz Oyster Bar – a seafood haven where you can enjoy anything from crab to calamari
- World’s Largest Fire Hydrant – in the heart of downtown of Columbia, you can find a 40 foot tall hydrant that at one time gushed water all over the city streets
- Columbia Canal and Riverfront Park – the perfect place to have a quiet picnic and enjoy nature
- South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Hall of Fame – a hidden gem that pays tribute to the men and women in blue, those living and deceased
- Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Garden – a one stop shop with over 2,000 animals and more than 4,300 species of plant life from all over the world
- Williams-Brice Stadium – if college football is your thing, don’t miss the opportunity to see the USC Columbia Gamecocks in action
- River Rat Brewery – unwind with a cold one while enjoying the scenes of the city or stroll through the brewery sampling their latest beers
- South Carolina’s Columbia was the first city named after Christopher Columbus.
- At one time you could find the World’s Smallest Police Station here, with an area of five by 12 feet. 😳
- Here ALL soft drinks are called “Colas,” so make sure you’re specific when going out to eat.
Have you been to Columbia? What did you eat, see, and do? Leave your recommendations below!
Have a location you want to spotlight? Let us know in the comments!