Welcome to Anders Group’s weekly location spotlight where we’ll share what to eat, see, and do in some of the most popular Travel Assignment locations! Up this week…Oakland!
WHERE: Oakland, CA
ABOUT: Oakland is a major city in the San Francisco Bay Area and is the 8th largest city in California. It is one of the most diverse cities in the country, where they embrace all walks of life. Being a bay city, there are plenty of water based attractions here – like Angel Island and Lake Merritt. The inland activities are something to marvel at as well. The Redwood Regional Park is home to more than 1,800 acres of gorgeous greenery, just perfect for a walk or bike ride. Is the Bay Area calling your name?
- Wood Tavern – this rustic neighborhood eatery focuses on California culture with local ingredients
- The Fat Lady – on top of great food and drinks, not too many restaurants have a history like this one
- Zachary’s Chicago Pizza – two Wisconsin natives brought the Chicago style deep dish to the streets of California and have been racking in the dough ever since (yes, pun intended)
- Redwood Regional Park – just a few miles from downtown Oakland, lies a hidden forest full of beautiful redwood trees
- Jack Landon Square – on this waterfront you can shop, eat and watch some entertaining shows
- Morcom Amphitheater of Roses – tantalize your eyes and nose with these breathtakingly beautiful roses
- Oakland Zoo – this zoo is 2 years shy of its 100th birthday and is home to more than 700 animals
- Oakland Museum of California – learn about the history, environment, art and people of the great state of California
- Oakland Grand Lake Farmers Market – over 40 local farmer and 30 specialty crafters come here every Saturday to sell their goods
- Lake Merritt is the only natural saltwater lake within city limits in the world.
- Disneyland was inspired by Oakland’s Fairyland.
- There are hundreds of gnomes painted on utility poles throughout the city and the artist is unknown.
Have you been to Portland? What did you eat, see, and do? Leave your recommendations below!
Check out some of the jobs we have in the Oakland area!