WHERE: Pine Ridge, SD
ABOUT: Pine Ridge, South Dakota sits on the South Dakota and Nebraska border and is known as the headquarters for the Oglala Sioux Tribe, where over 20,000 members reside. The natural scenery here is beyond serene, on any given day you can see wild horses galloping across the plains. This location is only an hour away from a lot of attractions like Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park, just to name a couple.
- Fuel Grill – Good food coupled with a great beer selection.
- Higher Ground Coffee Shop – This neighborhood café is inviting and makes its patrons feel like they are at home.
- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation – Pine Ridge is the site of several events that mark milestones in the history between the Sioux of the area and the United States government.
- Mount Rushmore National Monument – Not only do you get to marvel at this 60-ft.- high sculpture, there is a museum with interactive exhibits to learn more about the National Memorial.
- Badlands National Park – More than 240,000 acres filled with marvelous rock formations and region-specific wildlife.
- Prairie Wind Casino and Hotel – Here you can play, win and cash in on the table games or the blazing hot slots.
- Dakota means “friend” in the Sioux language, the original inhabitants of this area.
- Fossils dating back to 35 million years ago have been found in the Badland. Sue the T. rex was found here, she is the largest and most complete T. rex ever found.
Have you been to Pine Ridge, South Dakota? What did you eat, see, and do? Leave your recommendations below!
Have a location you want to spotlight? Let us know in the comments!
To see available roles in Pine Ridge, click here.